2013-04-09

Extra dose of patience

I was driving behind this car with the sign in its back window that says, “Student Driver. Sorry for any delay.”

Knowing this, I was very patient with her slow shifting, and honestly she was doing pretty well for someone who is still learning.

Then I asked myself a tough question: "Would I have been just as patient if the sign hadn’t been there?" I can almost definitely say no.

We don’t know what someone is going through. We don’t wear signs that illustrate our personal struggles.

You don’t see signs taped to people’s shirts that say,
“Going through a separation,” or
“Feeling depressed,” or
“Diagnosed with cancer.”

Perhaps if we could read visually what those around us are going through, then we would have definitely be nicer. 

But we shouldn’t have to see signs and have reasons to treat strangers with kindness. We should do it anyway, whether we know what is going on or not. Whether they deserve it or not, let’s give everyone an extra dose of patience.